Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Part IV and House Museums

New section!

Part IV - Histories and Identities in the Museum


So here we go.. 2 weeks, 6 articles.

Today's was the one I found most interesting just as I flipped through from the beginning of the section.
#34: Reality as Illusion, the Historic Houses that Become Museums by Mónica Risnicoff de Gorgas 

The article was interesting, talking much about striving towards authenticity, in the house museum especially. It's sort of like what we were discussing during our meeting on Thursday... the striving towards authenticity and integrity in representing the history well helps create a more accurate experience for the patrons. Also this article was a great example of what I was talking about also during the discussion, about using certain institutions to drive certain points about musems. House museums specifically have a different sort of responsibility to objects than the gallery or art museum do. This is great to know in the grand scheme of Museum World.

She gave examples of three different house museums, so I thought I would find pictures of each. I was curious to what these looked like in contrast to Albert Barnes' house, because his was certainly not a history museum, although they used the space for educational purposes.

Museo de la Inconfidencia

Virrey Liniers house museum 


Unfortunately, I couldn't really find pictures of the inside of either of these museums (the museo de la inconfidencia seemed to only have one), and could find no pictures of El Paraiso, the summerhouse of Maniel Mijica. So, I didn't get to see a whole lot, but from the top picture it seems that the "house museum" is not a whole lot different than others I have seen! 

Thoughts? 

Til tomorrow, 
J

No comments:

Post a Comment